The Assoc. Director/Director of Intellectual Property will serve as the company’s in-house intellectual property counsel responsible for managing the company’s intellectual property portfolio and drive the global patent strategy. This position will work in a cross-functional environment with internal and external stakeholders. The role requires a dynamic, motivated and creative self-starter that shares our commitment to bringing new therapies to patients.
This role will serve as a key advisor to the business and will partner with various functions throughout the company to identify opportunities to protect intellectual property and to provide patentability, freedom-to-operate, and other legal opinions and risk assessments.
He/She will develop and execute strategies for protecting intellectual property related to Aldeyra’s early and late-stage R&D and clinical-stage programs. The individual in this role will prepare and prosecute patent applications both as in-house counsel and through external counsel to build and expand robust global intellectual property portfolios.
The individual in this role will also conduct due diligence analyses and provide relevant counsel to support business development and transactional matters as needed. By providing clear guidance to scientists and senior leadership, this position will play a key role in supporting business objectives and decision-making.
This role will work independently and collaboratively to negotiate and draft agreements, including licensing and collaboration agreements, MTAs and CDAs. The individual in this role will also provide analysis and interpretation of existing contracts. Other responsibilities include directing our trademark portfolio, managing publication clearance, supporting records management programs, and overseeing IP operations.
The title for this position will be commensurate with experience. Patent agents with relevant experience will also be considered.
This position reports to the SVP Technical Operations
Experience and essential skills:
- Manage existing Aldeyra patent portfolio; develop and implement strategy for new intellectual property relating to Aldeyra’s platform technologies, pipeline programs, and product candidates.
- Working closely with research and development teams to identify and protect patentable inventions and other intellectual property.
- Draft, review and prosecuting patent applications; individually or with the support of outside counsel.
- Performing and overseeing patentability and freedom-to-operate analyses of Aldeyra and third-party intellectual property.
- Conduct intellectual property diligence analysis for business development projects.
- Managing Aldeyra’s trademark portfolio.
- Reviewing proposed abstracts, manuscripts, posters, and other disclosures for intellectual property purposes. Provide IP support and advice for business arrangements and agreements.
- Efficiently manage and collaborate with external intellectual property legal counsel.
- Drafts, reviews, and leads the negotiation of key business contracts including, MSAs, CTAs, research collaborations, manufacturing and consulting agreements.
- Assists with developing company-wide IP and contract management policies and procedures.
- Providing support for general legal matters.
- J. D. with advanced scientific degree (MS or PhD) preferred.
- Admitted to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office and the Massachusetts bar.
- 5+ years’ experience drafting and prosecuting technology patent applications, preferably in a legal firm and/or biotech/pharma company.
- Experience working in a cross-functional matrix and collaborating/managing outside counsel.
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to clearly articulate complex subject matter.
- Ability to think critically, communicate effectively across broad spectrum of audience both internal and external and express excellent written skills.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and prioritize work effectively.
- Enjoys and thrives in a fast-paced, multi-tasked, and hands-on environment.
To Apply: Please email your details or fill out our application form.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com